14 August 2015

A Weight Loss Journey

It has been some time since I posted, life has very much been busy and quite frankly, a rollercoaster of ups and downs.

In March, on my doctors advice and with his help, I am working on losing weight. I have medicine to help as medically, its not easy for me to lose weight. At the beginning, I was excited to start the journey, knowing how long and difficult it would be. I have done this before, over a much shorter timeframe and had to stop with pregnancy.

At the time I looked a lot a getting an activity tracker to help motivate me to move more. I tend to procrastinate a lot of things that aren't seen as essential. So after a lot of research I had somewhat decided on which one I'd like and left it at that.

I carried on with my VLC diet, watching carefully how much and of what I was consuming. The only thing that was, and still is hard, not eating much or snacking. The diet I'm on, under my GP, is 2 meal replacement shakes each day and one low cal meal with fruit and salad. The first week is hard but over time it gets easier as it becomes habit.

Fast forward 6 months and I've lost roughly 6.5 kilograms which is awesome and I'm not gaining a kilo by looking at treat food. The meds are doing their job as well. I will state though that I haven't been on such a strict diet for 6 months, that would be unhealthy. I use it for a few weeks before working on sticking to a low cal, food consuming diet.

3 weeks ago I started looking at the activity trackers again as I felt the motivation dropping. After watching and waiting my chosen tracker was available for a really great price, so with encouragement I bought it.

I chose a Garmin Vivofit 2 for a few reasons that seems to fit with what I wanted. The first thing, and the deciding factor for me is that it doesn't need to be recharged, it runs on a watch battery with roughly 1 year life span. It tracks sleep and steps and cals burned while also syncing with calorie counting apps to further tie it all together.


I've had it for just over a week now and I'm liking it. Its comfortable to wear, light and easy to use. It is motivating me to walk as the little red bar fills up while I'm sitting still, taunting me and reminding me I need to get up. It sets goals for me to push me a little further each day but I'm ok with it if I don't make it. Its motivating me to get out of the office at lunch and go for a decent walk. I've also resumed my diet and in the past week lost a further 1.5kgs so I will try and continue it until holidays, when all bets are off! In fact, I'll be interested to see how far I walk while roaming the Hawaiian Isles.

As it stands, I'm 8kgs down and feeling better for it. I know I have a long way to go on this journey but I have support around me to help me get there. One foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

xx Natanie

No comments:

Post a Comment